Mother's Day 2018

“A mother may hold her child’s hand for a moment, but holds their heart forever…”

Just shy of 15 months ago, I was blessed to become a mother to my son, Bode.  In his short time on earth, he has taught me more about living than I could have ever learned in all my years before he came into my life.  His laugh is contagious, his smile melts my heart, and his spunky attitude about life brings me so much joy day in and day out.  This Mother’s Day was supposed to filled with family time in Phoenix, eating our hearts out at brunch, and relaxing in the Arizona sunshine.  However, the National Guard had other plans for me!





This year, I had to spend Mother’s Day away from my little guy on a last minute mission to Hawaii.  Was I bummed that I didn’t get to spend the day with him?  Of course!  However, he was in great hands.  When I had to fly out for my mission I was still in Phoenix visiting family. Luckily, I was staying with my mother and my sister (who is a brand new momma herself).  When I got the call, they took over “mom duties” for me and I could not have been more grateful.  Bode had a great time that day having fun celebrating with his Grandma and Auntie!



Even though I couldn’t be with my son, we were able to Skype (thank the Lord!) at various times throughout the day.  I was able catch him busting out some new dance moves, stuffing his face full of yummy food at brunch, and was able to be a part of his stroller walk with Grandma.  All in all, I was so happy I was able to see him and talk with him on Mother’s Day.  I never take the moments I have with him for granted because I know one day he won’t be begging to see me or be with me like he does now.




This blog was a great time for me to reflect on my blessings in life and just how honored I am to be Bode’s mother. I hope all you mommas (what ever facet that may be) out there had a blessed Mother’s Day!



With Gratitude,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International

Popular Posts