Meet Mrs. North Dakota International 2018 - Laura Schmidt!


Mother, wife, Soldier, volunteer and advocate are just a few titles I hold in my every day life and now, Mrs. North Dakota International 2018.  I firmly believe in giving back to others through volunteering, advocacy, and kindness.  I always try to maintain the mindset that there is always someone out there in our local communities that may be struggling more than you, so lend a hand, give back!  I am 28 years young and recently moved to Bismarck from Fargo, North Dakota. I have a wonderful husband, Kelly of 2.5 years, our son Bode, 11 months and our 2-year old fur child, Lola.  





I am not originally from North Dakota, so winters were a little hard to get used to up here! I was born and raised in southeast South Dakota along with my twin brother, Michael and older sister, Carol.  After high school I went to Arizona State University where I received my Bachelor’s of Science in 2012.  During my time at ASU, I was a collegiate member of Arizona State ROTC, Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, worked for Sun Devil Athletics and played club sports.  Upon graduation from ASU, I commissioned into the United States Army as a Military Police Officer and moved to North Dakota to join the North Dakota Army National Guard.

Through my work with the North Dakota Army National Guard, I met my husband Kelly (I was his supervisor on the drill weekends).  I will be honest we were not very fond of each other at first.  However, opposites do attract and from six years ago we have come together to create our wonderful little family.  We married in July 2015 with our wedding celebration in October 2015.  Kelly and I had always wanted a family but knew it would be difficult with my previous health issues.  After almost a year of trying for children, we were elated when we found out we were expecting for February 2017.  Fast-forward to February 21, 2017 we welcomed our miracle baby, Bode Douglas Schmidt.  People say you experience a different love for your children and it is the best love you can ever feel…they were spot on!  He is the best thing that has ever happened to us and makes me want to be a better person everyday.  



Besides being a mother and wife, I am a Soldier.  I have the honor of being a Captain and serving full-time in the Army National Guard in the best state, North Dakota.  Throughout my time serving in the state I have gained not only great professional experiences but also a second family where we are always there for one another.  It was through the North Dakota Army National Guard that I was able to complete my Master’s in Education in 2015, travel across the world, and meet many people from many walks of life.  



Volunteer is another title I hold that is near and dear to my heart. I have been a volunteer for many organizations throughout all the communities I have lived in, but volunteering for Ronald McDonald House Charities has been part of my life for years. I have volunteered at various houses since the age of 11.   This wonderful organization provides a home away from home for families of critically ill children receiving medical care. I do anything and everything they need of me when I volunteer. This includes baking, cooking, cleaning, laundry, office work, working events and my favorite: getting to know all of the families who are staying at the house.  I have had the recent opportunity to take over social media for the Bismarck Ronald McDonald House and write several grants for the houses that are in need of supplies.  I could not be more honored to have RMHC as my personal platform as Mrs. North Dakota International 2018.   



In my free time, I love to coach. I have coached for over eight years and love to make an impact on our youth, especially you women.  I am a fitness junkie, baking queen, and Big Bang Theory lover. My son is my number one priority and I am soaking up every minute I can with him.  He is such a momma’s boy, but I will never complain about that because I know it will not last forever.

Wrapping everything up has brought me to where I am now, your Mrs. North Dakota International 2018.  I am excited for the opportunity to represent the greatest state in the Union, promote my personal platform: Ronald McDonald House Charities, promote the International Pageant’s platform: American Heart Association/Go Red For Women, and be a role model in our North Dakota communities.  



With Gratitude,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018

“There’s no place like home…unless it’s a Ronald McDonald House!”

Popular Posts