The Moment I Became Mrs. North Dakota International 2018


There have been few moments in my life that I have stood quiet at a time of happiness and celebration, and my crowning moment was one of those times.

The weekend of the pageant I was full of prayer for me.  Praying not to win, but to do my best. I prayed for the ladies who stood with me in every area of competition that they would shine brightly in their true form. I prayed that no matter what happened when we stood on stage that whom ever was called forward we would be happy for…. truly happy for.

As the Mrs. contestants were called forward to the front of the stage, I remember just looking for my son in crowd. My husband had already put me at peace being with me through evening gown competition and hanging out back stage.  Once I saw my son who I had not seen for a week prior to the pageant, I knew all was right in the world.  I said a quick Hail Mary (like I had done all weekend along with other prayers) and locked hands with the ladies.

When the emcees began to talk I just remember talking with God and saying to myself-whatever happens is in his plan.  As the first runner-up was called, I could not have been more thrilled for Jessie-Mrs. West Fargo International 2017.  I remember looking directly at her when her name was called clutching her hand and giving her a huge smile! Then it was time, we all again locked hands.  As the emcees began to announce, all I remember was bowing my head and literally not thinking, just basking in the moment of where I was.  When I heard my name called, I immediately clinched my hands and looked at Mrs. Bismarck International, Melanie whose hand I held. I did not scream, shake or cry I then just looked up, put my hands in prayer and thanked God. 





I moved to the middle of the stage where the 2017 queens were waiting to give me my crowning moment. But before they could start the celebration out came my husband from backstage.  We embraced in a hug and kiss and then he had the honor of crowning me.  I was honored to have him place the crown on my head because without his love and support I would have never made it to that point. 





After I was crowned, I remember standing on stage and looking at my son.  He gave me a huge smile and a wave (thanks to grandma) and that truly was the perfect ending to a perfect pageant weekend.  I was also overwhelmed with the love and support of so many people who came to watch and support me. 
I am so grateful to have the opportunity to represent North Dakota and an amazing pageant family, North Dakota International Pageants. 



With Gratitude,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018

Popular Posts