Oh the places you'll go...


“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! This happens to be my favorite book from childhood! This very quote from this book sticks with me till this day even in my adulthood. One never knows just where life can take them until they use their brains, their feet to be interdependent on those who can provide guidance. With this, success is bond to come in many ways!
            I can’t seem to understand just how time can fly by so quickly. Yet I still have about nine more months left until the next ambassador is crowned. I wanted to use this blog to gather my thoughts and share with you just what it’s been like so far on my journey. My most recent event was a guest reader in my hometown at the New Hartford Public library in New Hartford, NY.  Stepping back into the library brought back many good memories.
            Reading is something I have loved since I was little and even now. I enjoyed going to the library, doing my homework and finding my next book to indulge in. To my surprise when coming back I saw some familiar faces that I didn’t expect to see. I recognized them, but they didn’t recognize me, until I told them my name. I must say it’s amazing how a crown can change your presence!
When speaking to an audience I find myself quite shy at first, but the moment I talk about why I am here and what I’m doing with my platform, everything changes. It’s like this wall of fear vanishes. While attending the events I met wonderful families and many beautiful children. Reading three books to them was very exciting, their expressions to each page brought great energy to the room and made me realize just why I enjoy working with children. I left the event feeling really happy that I could share a moment with families and their little ones. My main goal was to voluntarily share the importance of healthy eating to families and little ones. I felt like I had accomplished just that.
If you were to have asked me last year what are my plans for spring 2017, I probably would have been simpleminded.  Giving my standard response of school, work, and volunteer, but that isn’t the case at all. I am very happy that I get to meet new faces attend events that are present and pushing their cause. I would not have wanted it any other way. A saying that I tend to always say is "when I make plans, God laughs at me." I don’t find this to be a negative thing but rather a great thing! It shows just how life can be unpredictable, and with the right guidance “Oh the places you’ll go.”
Carpe diem, Wiljar Ojuro North Dakota International Ambassador 2017


Popular Posts