Music Education, Hitting All the Right Notes


Thank you for taking the time to read about my platform!  My platform Music Education- Hitting All the Right Notes, is my everyday passion.  Music is one of the most universal, profoundly human experiences that I know. I think it would be difficult to find someone whose life has not been touched in some way, by music. My mission is to educate others about the benefits of music education and highlight the correlation between music study and higher academic achievement. I believe that quality music education can “hit all the right notes” for countless students. 
 
I chose my platform for a few main reasons.  First, music is what I love.  It is what inspires me in my everyday life. Next, I have had outstanding music teachers who have had a profound impact my life. Finally, I believe that music in our schools is often undervalued.  Music programs are often cut, when the financing is not there. I want to challenge people to see music education not only as something that enriches our lives, but improves the skills necessary for school success.
Over the past decade, there has been a lot of talk about educational reform. The goal has been to make students in our country more successful.  I believe that quality music education with the proper funding and support can play a big part in this reform. Research shows that students who study music score about 20% higher on standardized tests in reading and math.  They have better skill sets in almost every academic area.  Music students manage anxiety better and feel more at connected at school.  The benefits range from language development to problem solving. 
I think it is very important to support the Music Educators of North Dakota (NDME) and other organizations who support community and school based music education.  Other organizations I hope I have the chance to work with are National Association for Music Educators, American Coral Directors Association. I believe that teachers are the heart of our education system.  It is my hope to continue to be a voice for quality music education on the local, state and national level.
 I love the quote: “Be the change you want to see in the world.”  Over the past few years, I have become increasingly involved in music advocacy.  I have served on student government, as choir class president and representative for two years.  Last year, I was asked to be a Teacher’s Assistant for Women’s Choir, at my school.  I spend my free period every day, helping with this choir. This has been a priceless opportunity for me to influence young women in my school and share my passion for music education.
As a North Dakota International State Title Holder, my intention is to support the North Dakota Music Educators and their agenda.  I hope to be an advocate for quality music education in my community and state.  I want to raise awareness about the research that makes an incredible case for music education. Finally, I will highlight the need for quality music opportunities in rural and lower income areas. Every student has the right to the advantages, a quality music program provides.
Yours in Harmony,
Payton Hausauer, Miss Teen North Dakota International 2017






Popular Posts