“By the grace of God I am what I am.” Corinthians 15:10. This verse was my background on my phone for the entire week of the pageant as a reminder to stay true to who I am. And that’s what I did! During nationals week I wanted the other ladies to know exactly who I was. The real me. So, from the very beginning I let them know. I made it a goal to share my platform by utilizing my personal connection to it- my clubfoot. And, let me tell you, everyone knew my story by the end of the week! It was so cool to share my story with people from around the country, wait, around the WORLD! Even the DJ knew about my Clubfoot, crazy!
I was lucky enough to travel to Charleston an entire week early with my friend Nicole (Shout-out to you girl!). We explored Charleston together every day all while cheering on my Mrs., Jessie! Our activities spanned from breakfast at First Watch to Gala’s where we tried to win everything at the silent auction...it was a good time! I’m so thankful to have spent that time with Nicole and cheer on Jessie at the Mrs. Pageant!
The second week was my competition week. In the past, I found myself really getting into my head about competition. As I said before, my goal for this week was to be 100% myself and I really focused on not caring about what the other girls looked like. And I did the best I possibly could! Some girls were wearing extremely expensive dresses, just for rehearsals. I took pride in my thrift finds and dresses I got for extremely discounted prices. Do you know why?? Because I felt BEAUTIFUL in everything that I had no matter what the price tag on it was. This week really taught me how to be true to myself without comparison to others. Now, with that being said, let me give you a recap of my entire competition week!
Monday night was orientation. Here, we each had the opportunity to introduce ourselves and meet all of the other contestants for the first time! Each of us were asked a question kind of as an ice breaker as well as an opportunity to get a feel for the 30 second onstage question. My question was “What is your anthem?”


Tuesday! Oh, Tuesday was so much fun! There was no pressure on this day because we all spent time together doing fun activities. We started the day with a photo scavenger hunt around downtown Charleston. We were split into groups and had a competition to see which group would get it done first. I thought my team was winning but when we got back, we all realized we were the LAST group to return...oops! From here, we went to an organization called Keep The Faith Corporation to spend time with kids from Charleston and donate our backpacks filled to the brim with school supplies! Then we toured the Cultural Center Museum and ended the day with a fashion show at the Charleston Mall!

Wednesday was Interview! Here is where I poured my heart out to the judges on what I have done as Miss Teen North Dakota International and what I would do as Miss Teen International. It was exhilarating, as usual, and the fastest 20 minutes of my life. If I could interview every day, I would! That afternoon was our first rehearsal and evening was our group photo.
Thursday was prelims! Wowza, the day started so slow but as it drew closer for the show to start...time went “See ya later!!” before I knew it I was eating Dominos in my bed as a celebration dinner. I was truly impressed with myself and my performance and I knew that I left it all out there. It was in God’s hands at that point. All I could do was be at peace!
Friday, I slept in until 8 and boy did it feel amazing. We had a free morning and then as a group the Teens went to watch Miss. Prelims! Ava knocked it out of the water (obviously) and I was so proud of her.
Saturday was the big day...finals! Tensions were a little bit higher than any other day, obviously we all were itching to hear the top 10. Before we knew it, the curtain was being pulled and opening number began. Then they started calling top 10. I remember feeling SO calm and at peace. I was excited for whatever was going to happen. “Teen Top 10 finalist number 1...Miss Teen North Dakota!” Wait- Are you serious?? That was my first thought. I was on cloud 9!  Ava and I had both made it to the top 10. It was an exciting moment for North Dakota! Onstage interview was the scariest part...but I had nothing to lose and everything to gain! My nerves went away, and I felt so good about my answer. As I said before, I was going to stay true to myself...so before fitness I cracked a Diet Coke as a celebration for top 10! The rest of the show went super well, and I was just so grateful to be there. Although I didn’t win, I achieved so many personal goals and grew as an individual. And, hello, AVA WON! I am so proud of you, girl. You are changing the world!
I am so grateful for my trip to nationals. It changed my life for the better. Before I sign off, I just want to say thank you to a few people! Ashley, thank you for preparing me to the best of my ability to represent myself and my platform in interview. YOU are incredible. Jenna. You are a lifesaver and one of the most generous people I have ever met. You made me feel fabulous every single day...no matter what time it was! My family, thanks for being on call 24/7 no matter what. You are my rocks...wait...no...my boulders! I love you all. Finally, Meg and Janelle. Yes, I did just start crying as I wrote that. I am seriously at a loss for words on how thankful I am for you. I could not have gone on this journey so smoothly without you. Whenever I needed something, you were there. I am so so so thankful for you. *insert potato emoji* Thank you! I love you!
Thank you, North Dakota for following me on my journey to nationals. I can’t wait to see where the next 6 months takes me!
As always,
Redefining Disability and Transforming minds,
MacKenzie Johnson

Popular Posts