Why I Chose Pageants


BLOG 6 – Why I Chose Pageants
Why did I choose pageants? Well, I did not… pageants chose me! Let me explain…… Some time ago, my mom saw a Facebook post that asked something along the lines of: “Do you want to learn how to walk like a queen?” Well, who doesn’t?! She told me about this and I thought it would be fun to try. I think I was only about 8 years old. There was an invitation for anyone to come and learn skills to: walk with confidence, improve your posture, increase poise, make an entrance, and develop personal style and expression.  All these are great to improve yourself! This was a workshop hosted by the North Dakota International Pageants but it was open to anyone just to learn!  We had a busy schedule so we were not able to make that workshop. However, it was the little spark that ended up becoming lots of sparkle!
Pageant workshops are held each year, for women to improve themselves and to join the pageant system if they want to. My mom saw another workshop event and she decided to inquire about it.  Our first workshop attendance was in 2016. They were teaching how to model and the people teaching made it look so easy and glamorous and I wanted to learn how! I started to walk like a pageant girl. Even if I didn’t ever compete in a pageant, I thought that this is a really good skill to learn. Because, it’s great to be able to present your best self and walking with confidence and grace really is a great thing!  Another workshop that I went to was on interviewing. This time, I was nervous because there were all these elegant ladies who spoke really well. But, we were warmly welcomed by everyone. We learned how to be our best at talking about ourselves and interviewing. This was all so new to me but I knew it was exciting. We learned of more workshops and my mom thought about signing me up for my first pageant. I didn’t really know because I had not been in a pageant. Mom kept being led to this pageant world for me but she wanted to be sure because we had so much to learn. So, we decided to get tickets and attend the pageant instead that year so we could see the pageant production! The glamour, excitement and poise to answer the interview questions were electrifying! I loved the whole pageant!




Most of the next year went by and were doing our normal busy schedule. But, my mom kept being pulled toward this pageant, like she just kept being drawn to it. Would we know enough about what to do?!  We were not sure but about the last month, we decided to officially join. We learned so much in a short time. At the pageant, the Pre Teens had a wonderful tea and an etiquette lesson so I got to learn at the pageant! I did not take home the crown and after the pageant, mom said that I did my best and whatever the Lord had for me, it was right for me. So, we went home and went on with life! Several months passed and mom kept being drawn to the thought of joining the pageant again. But, she also was fearful of me taking the risk but the excitement won us over and I signed up in the last month again! I was happy to be crowned this time. But, as I think about what I have gained, it is far more than just a sparkly crown…



Pageant life has opened up a whole new world for me. I have gotten to do that pageant walk and it is amazing. I have learned how to stand confidently and present myself with poise and grace and showing my best self. I have learned how to write blogs! I have social media to show who I am and to also show where I put my heart into volunteering and some of the things that are important to me. I have thought more about what I wear and how people see me. We have volunteered as a family before but being in the pageant has made me want to volunteer and help even more. With my volunteering, I have grown to be a better person. I have taken on the scripture: “Let all that you do be done in love.” I Corinthians 16:14. And, this has become how I want to live my life. Pageant life is developing my best self. Confidence is one thing that I have gained. I am so much more sure of myself in what I am doing and I want to take more positive risks.
Even though I have named so many things that I have learned, there is something that is the best! All the connections that I have made are incredible! I have my beautiful sister queens, directors, sponsors, volunteer connections and many others that I have come in contact with because of this pageant. And, I have many people cheering me on which is amazing. It makes me want to do more and more positive things.
Without my mom seeing the pageant invitation in how to walk like a queen, I wouldn’t be the person that I am today. Pageants have brought me to a whole different place, world, and universe. This is a journey that I would’ve never expected. I am so grateful to be the person that I am with all this experience. So, even if you are just drawn to learning how to walk like a queen, check out the North Dakota International Pageants because you will find way more than how to walk like a queen, you will find amazing people and your best self!             



Love Always,
Lilia Rexin
Miss Pre Teen North Dakota International 2019

Popular Posts