What Life is like Having a Disability



There are many ups and downs to having a disability. For one, I automatically have something that sets me apart. My clubfoot helps make me one in 7 billion! But other things like self-image and insecurity have been huge obstacles in my life. Today I will share what some of those obstacles have been and how I have overcome them. Today I will show you the joys and not-so-joyous moments of having a disability. I hope that you can learn a little bit more about me and what it’s like to live with a disability.
When I was born, my parents had absolutely no idea that I had a disability. It was a surprise to them and the doctors! I immediately had doctors and nurses all over me and they decided that I had a clubfoot! My parents told me that they were scared but they trusted God’s plan and knew everything would be okay. From here, I had corrective surgery twice and was in a different cast every 2-4 weeks. Therapy, casts, braces, an 8cm screw, you name it and I’ve been through it.
My mom always knew that God had a plan for me, though. Almost every night before bed she would read me the story of the crippled little lamb. This is a story about a lamb who was born crippled and couldn’t leave the stable. It seemed like life was over for the little lamb but one day a man and a pregnant woman on a donkey showed up to the stable. While the other lambs were out with the shepherds, the crippled little lamb got to be at Mary’s side while she delivered baby Jesus. Although the crippled lamb did not have a life like the others, God had a different plan for it. My mom always believed that God had big plans for me and that he wouldn’t have given me a disability if he didn’t know that I could handle it.
Pre-School and Elementary, I never knew anything was different about me. I laughed and played just like the other kids did. In 4th grade, that changed. Kids weren’t so nice anymore. Because of my disability, I have a HUGE gap in the sizes of my feet. My left foot is a size 6 and my right foot is a size 9. I have an atrophied calf, and a leg discrepancy of about an inch and a half. Anytime I see a new doctor, they’re always super surprised about that information, especially the leg discrepancy. Anyway, I digress! Since kids knew about my disability, they used it against me. I remember specifically in 6th grade I was wearing flip-flops (which I had never done before in middle school) and someone came up to me and said, “what the heck is wrong with your foot.” I cried, went home, cried some more, and never wore open toed shoes to school in Middle School again. That was a real low point to me.
Along with emotional pain, as sad as that sounds, I also go through quite a bit of physical pain. I'm not trying to complain; I just want to give you an idea of what having a disability is really like. Because of my leg discrepancy, my hips are always out of place which causes lower back pain. Because of my surgeries, I have an extremely tight Achilles tendon which causes soreness when I stand for more than an hour. Sometimes after a long day of work and being on my feet all day I'll go to sleep and when I wake up and try to get up, my foot will not bend so I cannot walk. I must stretch it out and wait for the pain to go away before I can even leave my bed. I also have very little range of motion on my left foot so dorsi flexion and plantar flexion is basically impossible for me. I can only move my toes.
In 7th grade we had an English project where we had to make a presentation on something that impacted a large group of people. I chose who present on the Clubfoot and this is where I really opened-up about my disability and started to be comfortable in my own skin. I realized that this is something that I can’t change so I may as well make the best of it.
Now, being in pageantry is a huge reason why I'm confident about my disability but I struggled for a long time with accepting that I am not a ‘typical’ competitor. The hardest part about having a disability in general, but specifically in pageantry, is that I can say the word Clubfoot as eloquently and beautifully as I possibly can, but I can’t change how people perceive that word. That’s why in pageantry I OWN my disability and talk about it confidently! If I can be happy about it, I can show other people that being different isn’t so bad!
 MacKenzie Johnson 
Miss Teen North Dakota International 2019 

 

Popular Posts