It’s the most wonderful time of the year!


There is nothing like Christmas time and the joy that comes with celebrating this wonderful holiday. Here are some fun traditions my family and I love to do together around the holiday season.

1.     Bake!  Every since I was little my family has always baked, baked, every cookie and dessert recipe there is in our holiday family cookbook.  From spritz cookies to fudge, we make it all!  My favorite cookies to make are jewel cookies.  They remind me of my Grandma Joyce, with their softness and sweet centers.  This year we are very excited to bake her signature sugar cookies.  I say very excited this year because my son, Bode, loves to decorate the cookies with frosting and sprinkles galore.


2.     Decorate our tree!  Since my husband and I have been a couple, our tree decorations have defiantly developed over time.  My husband has many homemade ornaments from his side of the family along with my classic bulbs, then throw in our ornaments for Bode and there you have it…our tree!  Don’t forget the candy canes too.  :)


3.     Celebrating Advent.  As Catholics, we celebrate the anticipated birth of our savior with four weeks of celebration until Christmas day.  Each Sunday, a candle is lit to signify the upcoming birth of Jesus Christ.  This year is very special for us because our son, Bode, is able to understand (just a little) what it means when one of the candles it lit.  We tell him that “x” amount of candles is left to be lit before someone special comes and he gets so excited!  We show him pictures of baby Jesus, and where he was born in the manger and he just thinks it’s the greatest thing ever!

4.     Christmas Day!  As much as it’s great to have presents under the tree to open along with goodies in our stockings, our family appreciates spending time together the most.  Christmas is a day for us all to relax, enjoy all of the Christmas goodies we made, go to Church to worship, and reflect on how lucky we are to have a happy and healthy family.




I hope you all find joy in this holiday season.  May you be happy, healthy, and find joy in these next coming weeks and beyond.

Keeping Families Close,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018

Popular Posts