How To Balance Motherhood and Pageants



There is no secret that being a Mrs. Contestant or Titleholder can be overwhelming, especially when you have a family.  I learned that the moment I became a local titleholder in the International Pageant family.  My son was literally three months old when I received my local title.  At the time, I was saying to myself, “what are you getting into?”   After all, I had always led a busy life but never with a child who was solely dependent on my husband and me for continuous care.

My body was still bouncing back from growing this human, I was trying to get back into a rhythm at work, we were moving (AGAIN) because of our National Guard careers, I was still volunteering, and now throw on that pile prepping for a pageant?!  Where was caring for my child going to fit in to my already busy schedule?  Well that was a simple and easy answer for me in my head.  He was now my WHY to do everything I could for him, my husband and me!  Every time I looked at that sweet little face (and still do) he reminded me that I could do anything.

My little boy, Bode, throughout my time as a local titleholder and as Mrs. North Dakota International has become the best little sidekick a queen could ask for.  He helps me when I volunteer at RMHC weekly, comes to appearances with me (kid friendly, of course), and he loves to see me dress up and go through my entire pageant wardrobe.  There are times though, that I do have to be away from him that of course breaks my heart.  BUT I know that the works he sees me doing and the accomplishments that I am able to achieve are a direct reflection of him and the motivation he provides me everyday. 

To all of you Mommas out there who think you can’t do something, you can.  Your kiddos love you to the moon and back and are so proud of you.  Remember when you step on that pageant stage, win or lose, your little ones are going to love on you no matter the outcome.  Having that unconditional love is all you need. :)

Keeping Families Close,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018



Popular Posts