Family Voices of North Dakota Gala



When I met Tammy DeSautel 2 years ago, I knew she was a special person. Without her encouragement and kindness, I would never have signed up for Miss North Dakota International, and I was a complete stranger to her!! Tammy is just one of those women that you just can't help but feel genuine love and kindness from when she is around. So when Tammy asked me if I would help out with the first annual Family Voices of North Dakota Gala, I said yes (before even knowing what I was getting into, but any excuse to see Tammy is worth your time!)
The national website for the Family Voices Organization explains their mission to "keep families at the center of healthcare" with this description. "Family Voices is a national, nonprofit, family-led organization promoting quality health care for all children and youth, particularly those with special health care needs. Working with family leaders and professional partners at the local, state, regional, and national levels since 1992, Family Voices has brought a respected family perspective to improving health care programs and policies and ensuring that health care systems include, listen to, and honor the voices of families." You can find out how you can get involved at http://www.familyvoices.org/
I went into the first time event a little nervous and uncertain, but the energetic, bubbly, and flirtacious Janelle, Mrs. North Dakota International 2014 was already there working the room! You would think she is talking to old close friends by the way that she is able to comfortably talk to strangers and socialize with everyone in the room. That woman just puts on her highest heels and walks longer then someone in crocs ever could! She definitely is the perfect addition to any event that needs a hype-girl!

The evening started out with personal stories and inspiring moments that were so heartwarming. I have to admit, I got a little choked up. Some things that happen behind the scenes that we don't even know about when we are going about our routine are so amazing. It was a great reminder of how many truly beautiful and special things can happen every day to keep hope alive.
I also was asked to be the auctioneer for the live auction portion of the evening! Because I have never done any auctioneering in my life, I was a little nervous, and I found out it's definitely harder then it seems! But the crowd was great and everyone helped cheer me on through my nerves. I had a blast volunteering what I could do to help and I am excited to see this new event grow in our community!
Thank you again for inviting us Tammy! 
 

Meg Pulkrabek RD, LRD 
Miss North Dakota International 2014 

Popular Posts