A Few Things Mr. North Dakota International 2014 Learned This Year

The last year has meant many things to Janelle, our kids, and me.  I’m going to write about a few things that I have experienced:

1.     Bobby pins - description:
a.    “A bobbing pin (also known as a bobby pin, or a kirby grip or hair grip in the United Kingdom) is a type of hairpin, usually of metal or plastic, used in coiffure to hold hair in place. It is a small double-pronged hair pin or clip that slides into hair with the prongs open and then the flexible prongs close over the hair to hold it in place. They are typically plain and unobtrusively colored, but some are elaborately decorated or jeweled. Bobbing pins became popular in the 1920s to hold the new bobbed hairstyles.” - Wikipedia
b.    Something for me to see everywhere I go.  I step in the shower, bobby pins.  I get into my car, bobby pins.  In my office, bobby pins.  On the garage floor, bobby pins.  I’m not sure when Janelle purchased all of these bobby pins, perhaps she left them alone for too long and reproduction occurred or more likely Janelle has been purchasing them by the crateful and sneaking them into the house in the cover of darkness.  Instead of the whopping recycling check that I receive weekly by turning in the bobby pins, I should have purchased stock in Newell Rubbermaid, owners of the Goody pins! Thankfully stepping on bobby pins isn’t a painful experience.
2.       Salon Day - description:
a.    A day when Janelle gets pampered by Janelle Finseth, owner of 13th Ave Salon in West Fargo (http://www.west13thsalon.com). 
b.    A day when I’m Mr. Mom and in charge of running the kids to/from school and their various extracurricular activities. Many miles are traveled and I get to listen to the radio only somewhat interrupted by children.
c.     An evening when I need to be on my ‘A’ game and notice and compliment appropriately.  A simple ‘looks good’ will not be sufficient! 
3.     Nationals in Jacksonville, FL - descriptions:
a.    Touristy at its best.  I took Claire and Loren (our two oldest girls) to Florida to see Janelle compete in the pageant. We played tourists and visited St. Augustine which is the oldest city in the US.  It was HOT but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  The Pirate Museum as well as Castillo de San Marcos, which is the oldest fort in the United States, were really interesting.  Once the pageant was over, we got to spend time with Janelle and hit the Atlantic Ocean where we all played in the surf and was a nice way to end the vacation.
b.    Proud, but disappointed.  Janelle did amazing and I heard from so many of the other contestants that Janelle was so much fun to be with and how they enjoyed her company (which I’ve known for the past 19 years).  The girls and I were disappointed that Janelle didn’t win, but it’s been nice that our life didn’t get turned upside down with her traveling non-stop for appearances.

Mr. ND International 2014 – Keith Steinberg

Popular Posts