Introducing Miss ND International 2013...Taylor Wagner


When my name was called as Miss North Dakota International 2013, I was in complete shock. I don’t even remember walking to center stage to be crowned. I remember that my emotions wanted me to smile and cry at the same time. I also remember one of my judges, Miss International 2012 Krista Wanous, motioning to me to fix my crown, as it was on crooked (probably as a result of my uncontrollable shaking from excitement!).

As the crown was being placed on my head, I couldn’t believe that this moment was finally happening. It was one I have dreamed of for so long, and one I have been working towards for close to 5 years. You see, this was my fifth time competing in the ND International pageant. The first time I competed, I was a senior in high school competing for Miss Teen ND International 2009. That year I received 1RU (to my now best friend & roommate J). I fell in love with this pageant system from the start, and continued to compete every year after that. Over the next 3 years, I competed in the Miss division and received 2RU, 1RU, and 1RU.

Receiving runner-up is a bittersweet feeling. On one hand, you feel honored to have made it that far.  On the other hand, you could almost feel that crown on your head. You were so close. Following each pageant, people would ask me if I was competing again. While it is hard to go back, I always knew that I would compete again the next year. I wanted to achieve my dream of becoming Miss ND International, and I wouldn’t stop until I did. I am thankful that my parents taught me perseverance, and I am also thankful for God’s plan.

Years later, I am a senior at North Dakota State University (Go Bison!) studying zoology, and still chasing after my dream. My dream came true on December 1, 2012 when I was crowned Miss North Dakota International 2013. My advice to anyone out there chasing a dream: chase it until you reach it. I can tell you from experience, if it’s something you really want, the wait is SO worth it. It might make reaching your goal even sweeter.

As the quote says, “Everything happens for a reason.” I also believe that everything happens at a certain point in time for a reason. There is a reason, or many, that my dream did not come true until now. I look forward to the next year as Miss North Dakota International 2013 and discovering all of these reasons.

Years ago, I bought a small picture with a quote written on it. Since then, my twin sister and I have passed it back and forth as we each encountered obstacles, to inspire each other to keep going for your dreams. It has since become my life motto. I will end my first blog with this quote.

“She believed she could so she did.”


Taylor Wagner
Miss North Dakota International 2013

Popular Posts