My Crowning Moment - Miss ND International 2020

“Make your life a masterpiece; imagine no limitations on what you can be, have, or do.”
- Brian Tracy

The crowning moment is something everyone on stage is the most nervous about. For some, they worked the whole year leading up to this moment. We all work so hard pageant weekend. We leave all that we have on the stage. We’re soaking up our last few moments on stage with our hearts in our throats, beating faster than they ever have. 

My crowning moment was something I never would have imagined. If you were to tell me three years ago that I would be Miss North Dakota International 2020, I would not have believed you. Three years ago I was in a hospital recovering from Guillain-Barre not sure what the next part of my life was. Three years ago I was unable to walk, bathe, or feed myself. As time went on I had a hard time being able to breathe on my own. I was one failed breathing test away from being put into a medically induced coma and put on a ventilator. I didn’t know when things were going to get better. I was being told that I was going to get back to where I was before I got sick but no one could tell me when. All they knew was going to take years. Even though there was a lot of uncertainty, I knew I was going to get better. I knew I had to keep a positive mind. Everything happens for a reason, I just didn’t know what that reason was yet. Not only was I recovering but I never thought I would be a pageant girl. 

After some time, things were slowly but surely looking better with my recovery and I started thinking, “What’s next?” I knew I wanted to stay active and be competitive. I soon realized that I could do pageants. Pageants were something I’ve always wanted to do but never thought I could do because of my hockey schedule. I also never thought of doing pageants because I thought I didn’t fit into the “mold” of what I thought a pageant girl was. I have curves and I don't have “perfect” skin. That thought I had soon changed when I realized it doesn’t matter what's on the outside, it’s what’s on the inside. I knew I was just as beautiful as everyone else I was competing against. 

Leading up to pageant weekend, I was working hard but also very nervous. I was constantly thinking about all the possible outcomes and mentally preparing for all of them. When it came time and we all showed up for orientation, I felt it in my heart that no matter what happened, it happened for a reason. Getting to know my fellow pageant sisters, I knew that whoever hands the crown went into, it was going to be taken care of. It was comforting knowing that all the girls in my category supported one another. 

As soon as I heard my name I knew I had a job to do. I knew I wanted to make my state as proud as possible. I want to feel like I’ve done the most I can with my state title. This is a dream that little kid me would have never thought would have come true. With that being said. I will try my hardest to do the most I possibly can through this year and beyond.

Nothing is impossible,
LeAnne Brydl
Miss North Dakota International 2020



 
 

Popular Posts