Stressed out?


            As May approaches us with the wonderful spring weather, there seems to be so many things on my plate that’s needing to get done. From school work to family, work, appearances, finding a second job for summer, and managing to maintain a social life. This can be quite difficult to manage.  However, as time progresses I have found new ways that help me stay calm and push through anything. Now I’m not saying that this is the solution to your life if you’re trying to manage stress. Everyone is different, what may work for me may not necessarily work for you.
           Organization! First things first when I want to make things less stressful for myself I organize everything in my personal surroundings. For example, every Sunday I dedicate this day for cleaning. By doing this I can have a clear mind and I can focus and start the week off fresh. From bleaching my kitchen countertops (best cleaning supply ever!) to mopping the floors, re-organizing my wall calendar, cleaning my bathroom, cleaning my bedrooms and more. This process is a pain and it usually lasts for four hours. I pace myself and watch Law and Order to make the time fly. When that’s complete I feel like a load has just been lifted off me. I can think clearly and focus a lot better.
          Find your positive energy!  I believe that when your around positive people it can have a good impact on you. One thing that I find that clears my energy and puts me in a positive mind set is burning incense and/or candles. It gives off a peaceful aroma that helps me feel at peace and centered. Some may find this strange, but there’s just something about smells that tap into your senses. For example, if you come home and instantly smell the stench of garbage, most likely you’re not going to feel peace or happy thoughts. Feelings of disgust and being grossed out will surely come into play. Now let’s switch the smelly garbage with and infuse smell of the rainforest. I think you’ll be feeling a lot better about stepping into your home, getting an assignment completed, managing work and more.
            Talking to family and friends! “For there is no friend like a sister, In calm or stormy weather; To cheer one on the tedious way, To fetch one if one goes astray, To lift one if one totters down, To strengthen whilst one stands”  Christina Rossetti, “Goblin Market and Other Poems We all need that one person to vent to when we are stressed out. Sometimes we aren’t looking for a solution, we just need an ear to listen and let out all that’s been bottled inside. I find it helpful to talk to my close friends (you know who you are), parents or my siblings and just let out my stress. After I finish, my stress has lessened and I feel relieved. Like crinkling up a paper of frustrations and tossing it in the garbage.
          One out of the many things I have learned in life is that God only gives you what He knows you can handle. If you are experiencing a stressful time right now, just know it won’t last forever. With finals approaching so soon for myself and all college students, I find these very helpful for me. I hope they’ll be of use to you too!
Carpe Diem, Wiljar Ojuro North Dakota International Ambassador 2017

Popular Posts