Mother's Day

Mother’s Day.  It’s a bittersweet time of the year for me. It’s another day that comes and it goes, we cherish the ones we love and let them know how much we appreciate their tenderness, thoughtfulness, and bliss because there is nothing like a mother’s love. But how do you celebrate this day without a mom?
    I’ve learned to take this time to appreciate the memories I have, and use the day to thank the motherly figures in my life that have stepped up to the plate and shaped the person I am today.
    From an early age I knew life was going to be different for me after my mom passed away. While everyone had sundresses and bouncy curls, I had matching track suits from the boy section and my hair in a messy ponytail – because that’s the only thing my dad knew. Don’t get me wrong, my dad is great but dads are for dad things, and I was on the look out for a “mom.”
    To my sisters, Ying and Chonny, thank you. Thank you for being two of the greatest sisters that I can look up to and look to for guidance. Seeing the both of you with your husbands, and two beautiful children in hopes that one day I can follow in your footsteps. Being so much younger than you both, I am able to watch your mistakes and achievements and learn from the lessons they have taught you.  Thank you for being there for me when I haven’t called in over a month, but will sit on the phone with me for over two hours just so I can vent. For allowing me to just come sit on the couch in your presence to forget about life’s stressers for a minute, and not bugging me with questions of asking what’s wrong instead waiting until I am ready to open up. Thank you for putting up with you kid sister, and shaping me into the person I am today.
    To my bus driver, Sally, thank you. Although you were my best friend’s mom, growing up I watched how you raised Whitney and it had a second-hand effect on me. Thank you for always including me with family activities, and allowing for a positive environment. Waking up bright and early to climb on the bus to see a smile started off my day in the right direction. To know that you truly cared for me like your own, even though. I was just some neighborhood girl.  Thank you for going out of your way to make me feel loved, and shaping me into the person I am today.
    To my volleyball coach, Janet, thank you. Thank you for pushing me when I wanted to quit. You taught me that there are many options in life but to be successful you have to push yourself to your limits. I spent more time with you in high school than I spent with my own family, and I watched how you loved every single one of us on the team like we were your own. You showed me that even after mistakes are made you can forgive and still love us just as much. You believed in the things that I could achieve even when I didn’t. Thank you for your persistence, and shaping me into the person I am today.
    To my friends Anne, Samantha, Whitney, and Delaney thank you. Thank you for allowing countless hours together, a shoulder to cry on, and an ear to listen. Thank you for encouraging to my crazy wild ideas, my inability to make a decision, and my spur of the moment adventures. Thank you for inviting me into your life and teaching me the qualities your mothers taught you. To trust me with your secrets, and to tell me when I am in the wrong. To know that even time passes you’re all still there for me. Thank you for being there when I don’t know where to turn, and shaping me into the person I am today.
    To my grandma, Carrie, thank you. Thank you for rising beyond all expectations. Although you may have the wildest spirit I have ever met, I can only hope I am half of the person you are one day. Your ability to worry but still have a carefree time still impresses me. To know that you have the right things to say at all the wrong times, and to know when ever I have something to say, I know you’re there to listen. Thank you for providing me with a roof over my head, and waiting up countless nights until you knew I was okay. To bring me along with your crazy adventures with your friends. You showed me the importance of making time other influential women in your life, because you know they’ll always be there for you. Not many people can say their grandma is their best friend, but I can. You amaze me with your ability to be a handy man, but still have woman’s touch. Thank you for loving me unconditionally, and shaping who I am today.
    I know there are so many more amazing mom like figures in my life that have shaped me into who I am today and I thank every single one of you.
Although I miss my own mother, and I think about how life would be different with her here I wouldn’t have found such great importance with these other relationships in my life. I believe everything happens for a reason and I am thankful for all the amazing women in life that have contributed or will still influence my life in the future.
So, this Mother’s Day, if you can I urge you to hug your mother tight and let know how much she is loved.

Forever and Always,

Siam Simpfenderfer
Miss North Dakota International 2017




Popular Posts