My Platform



From the day that I was born, God had my platform picked out for me. He gave me something special that I could use to impact those around me in an incredible way. He gave me a disability. I was born with Congenital Talipes Equinovarus, commonly called the Clubfoot. I had two surgeries, an 8cm screw, braces, and tons of therapy to correct it. I struggled for years with my disability and learning to accept myself was extremely difficult. In sixth grade, I distinctly remember feeling bullied, unaccepted, and unworthy because of who I was. When I was 12, I decided that enough was enough. I was tired of being treated unfairly because of my disability and I recognized that this is not a problem that solely affects me. It affects 1 billion people. 15% of the world’s population has some sort of disability. These facts were astonishing, and I realized that I could make a difference.
From here, I created my platform. “Disability Awareness: Redefining Disability, Transforming Minds” is an education and awareness platform that focuses on educating those who are unaffected by disability. I educate by speaking to groups and classrooms and creating online videos about disability awareness. I have had the opportunity to speak to thousands of people in my community, state, and nation about disability awareness with hopes to redefine the word disability and transform the minds of those unaffected by it.
Every other week I make disability awareness videos entitled “This Ability, Not Disability” where I pick a certain disability or type of disability and state the facts about it and how to communicate respectfully to somebody who has it. Lately, I have been making my videos more ‘interview’ style. I have had the opportunity to sit 1-on-1 with people who have such extreme and uplifting stories of adversity. From this, I have been given the tools to properly educate people on different types of disabilities.
One of my most recent interviews was with a complete stranger. I’m involved in competitive speech and at one of my meets I was sitting in a round and listening. A girl named Elise got up and started to give her speech and I was immediately inspired. Elise has Crohn’s Disease and wrote a speech all about what it was and what it was like to have Crohn’s. I admired her bravery and vulnerability to speak about her own diagnosis so, I approached her after her speech to learn more about her and her story. Lucky for me, when I told her I did disability awareness videos, she was totally willing to share her story even more with my audience. It made a great video and even better, she makes a great friend.
I have been lucky enough to speak to many groups in the Jamestown area and have goals of spreading my message across the state. Although social media creates a huge impact on a wide group of people, sharing my personal story in person never gets old. I love to show people that you can do whatever you want to do, no matter your abilities. Being that representative for people who literally do not have a voice is such an honor. As Miss Teen North Dakota International I want to share a message of inclusion by educating and advocating for people with disabilities. People like me.

Redefining Disability, Transforming Minds,
Miss Teen North Dakota International 2019
MacKenzie Grace Johnson





Popular Posts