Do the Wave


The most common question I am asked as Miss North Dakota International is “Can you do the beauty queen wave?” Honestly, it was funny the first hundred times that I heard it but that hundred and first time got me thinking.

Many people who are not completely submerged into “Pageant Land” don’t understand how the process works. They are often times unaware that all of the incredible young women who compete have incredible platforms to match. They don’t realize that we are not only a group of talented, beautiful, well spoken ladies; we are also women on a mission to make a difference and stand up for causes that we deeply believe in.

Because I believe so strongly in the purpose of pageantry, I wanted to make it my mission to change the question from “Can you do the wave?” to “What is your mission?” or “What is your goal as Miss ???”

Of course pageantry has its fair share of crowns and gowns, but it’s so much more than that.
As a titleholder you have the big responsibility of being a representative, a voice, and advocate for change.

Just as Avril Lavigne says “I ain’t no dumb blonde.” As Miss North Dakota International I average 2 appearances a week where I share my platform The Peyton Heart Project: Hearts for Hope, raise funds, raise awareness, and provide resources. Yes, I’m a “beauty queen” but the job requires much more than the ability to wave and walk in heels. (However, I have been known to throw a few cartwheels while in my Chinese Laundry tippy tops.)

The job of Miss North Dakota International (or any title for that matter) requires much more than standing there and looking pretty. As Miss North Dakota I have a grueling, but exciting, schedule. As a business owner and Miss North Dakota I understand the hustle that is necessary in order to take full advantage of the year and embrace all possible opportunities. I am fortunate to have come from a background where I know how to schedule, book, and manage my own time.

There are three key parts of being a state titleholder that go far beyond being able to wave. Here are the three things that I believe create a well-rounded pageant titleholder.

1.     Appearances are a huge part of being a titleholder. As I mentioned I average two appearances a week. However, I didn’t just start going to appearances. Before I started booking speaking engagements I developed my four Hearts for Hope presentations geared toward all age groups. I wanted to make sure these programs were all ready developed so that they would be easily “sellable” to schools and other community organizations. I also made sure do plenty of research and receive training before entering schools to make sure that I was presenting information that was accurate and safe. As a titleholder you have a huge responsibility to not only be prepared with your platform, but providing safe information, especially with platforms like suicide prevention, sexual assault, and other serious issues. It took 3 years to develop and fine tune my presentations and they are always changing and growing. I recommend with all platforms that you become educated and receive as much training as possible before presenting to large groups. It protects yourself and your audience.


2.     The behind the scenes of being a titleholder is, I believe, even more important than what is seen in the spotlight. The work you put in when the cameras are off, is what puts you in the spotlight and what shows the most. Every single day I am sending emails, managing bookings, fine tuning my presentations, making hearts, contacting organizations, searching for events and securing school speaking engagements. It may not always be fun to be on the computer and doing paperwork but you only have one year and that year goes by fast! It’s important to do all of the paperwork and “boring” stuff that no one sees, so that you can wear that crown and stand in that spotlight while you can.


3.     The most important thing about being a titleholder is the impact you make. I can’t tell you how many students, children, and even adults approach me at the end of my presentations or out in public to tell me their stories or just have a simple conversation. A friend of my said something to me that really made me think. She said “What a responsibility you have listening and holding on to all of their stories.” She was absolutely right. With the platform I have, there are many times where audience members tell me stories about their suicide attempt, someone they have lost, or other traumatic events that have occurred throughout their lives. My job is to be there for them, be present, and be compassionate while I am there.


Not many people will remember the title you hold or sometimes even what your name is. But people will always remember how you made them feel. Never miss an opportunity to show love and kindness as a titleholder. Never miss an opportunity to put your crown onto a little girl’s head even if it’ll mess up your hair. Never miss an opportunity to sit on the ground in a dress to play with a group of rambunctious boys. Never miss an opportunity to hug someone who has shared their story and confided in you because you have that crown on your head. This is a one year opportunity with a lifetime impact.


A titleholder can absolutely “do the wave” but remember that we are so much more than that. We are empowered, we are beautiful (inside and out) and we are here to make a difference. 

Have courage and always be kind. 
Ava Hill 
Miss North Dakota International 2019

Popular Posts