A Pageant Poem

'Twas the Night Before Pageant by Janelle Steinberg
(based on the poem ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore)

'Twas the night before Pageant, when all through the house
not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The dresses were packed in the suitcase with care,
in hopes that morning soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
while visions of Mommy danced in their heads.
And me in my eye mask, and dad in his briefs,
had just settled in bed with hope of some sleeps.

When from the bed there arose such a clatter,
Keith sprang from his side to see what was the matter.
Away to the suitcase I flew like a flash,
tore open the cover, and searched for my sash.

The moon on the dresses packed tightly in line
gave peace to my heart; all my clothing was fine
when, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
all the clothing was packed.  I had nothing to fear.

We’re off to the airport, be lively and quick,
Had to say bye, but had to be quick
More rapid than eagles, my children they came,
as I shouted and hollered and called them by name:

"Now Claire! Now Loren!
Now, Nathan and Marc!
Oh, Karl! Oh, Aubrey!
Oh, Doggie and Birds!
To mommy give kisses!
and wish me good luck!
Now hug away! Hug away!
Hug away all!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
My stomach does twist when I mount to the sky
but the pageant is far so on we flew,
with new friends to meet, they have to fly too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard the pilot
We’ve landed in Jacksonville, you’re luggage go get
As I drew in my breathe and was turning around,
down the hallway I walk, to the hotel I’m bound.

I was dressed all in my best, from my head to my feet,
and my hair freshly dyed all curled and neat.
A bundle of clothes I had on my back,
and more in my suitcase, ahead to un pack.

Pageants--how they twinkle! Contestants, how merry!
our cheeks are like roses, our lips like a cherry!
our beautiful smiles are drawn up as a bow,
and the teeth in our mouths are as white as the snow.

I’ve been praying for this moment, planning and such,
and now came the moment that matters so much.
God has my future already all planned,
so here I am; on His future I stand

We stand and we wait for a name to be called,
It feels like time, air, sound are all stalled.
a life will be changed and a history made
soon a new Queen will be named.

The new Queen took her crown and went straight to work,
filled all her roles, met great people; a perk.
Her platform to showcase and great travel ahead,
we know her excitement will not allow sleep in bed.

She will wear the title for only a year,
but the memory of it will be held dear.
The pageant has ended and it’s time to take flight,
"Happy Pageant to all, and to all a good night!"

Blessings

Janelle Steinberg, Mrs. North Dakota International 2014

Popular Posts