Give Thanks with Emily Brooks

 

    


                

As our state starts to dip into the lower temperatures, I begin to crave wearing sweaters, drinking Pumpkin Spice Lattes, and doing all of the things that make me feel cozy this time of year. Fall has been my favorite season for as long as I can remember. When I walked home after school as a child, I loved hearing the leaves crunch beneath my feet. This season reminds me of the excitement for back-to-school and football games, of getting a chance to reconnect with my friends after a summer apart, and of trees whose colors are hued with bright reds. There are just so many reasons to love fall!



                I also start looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas this time of year. Getting a chance to share giant, laughter-filled meals that go on for hours with my loved ones is a life joy for me. I have so many wonderful memories of cooking with my grandmother and her sisters during the holidays. That’s where the real fun was, in the kitchen. I’ve always loved to cook. So many of the cooking skills I’ve learned happened during the days of preparation in the kitchen that took place before and during holidays.



                To have a regular gratitude practice. Reminding myself of all of the many blessings I get to experience in life is something I do mentally on a daily basis. This practice has really made a huge impact on my life. During the fall time, though, I make a point of writing down the things I’m grateful for. My children have enjoyed these practices too over the years when we turn them into a family project for decorating the house.



                A few years ago I learned about the concept of hygge, a Scandinavian term meaning “coziness.” It’s an attitude of embracing these colder months in meaningful ways. After reading more about hygge (pronounced “hoo-ga”), I realized why I love fall so much. It’s the coziness of this season that I enjoy! I’ve since started incorporating more of the hygge practices into my family’s life once we start getting cooler weather. That means lighting candles during dinner time, enjoying hot apple cider in front of the fire in the evenings, and snuggling into pajamas to watch a movie together at the end of a busy week.



                Enjoy all that fall has to offer. I hope you’ll explore some new ways to grow a deeper appreciation for my favorite season!

Sharing a mother’s love,

Emily Brooks

A quick explanation of hygge: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34345791

My favorite book on hygge: The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking



Popular Posts