Why Mackenzie chose Pageantry

 

I have always loved dressing up in dresses, so when I first heard that there was a pageant in a town by me, I knew that I wanted to sign up as soon as I could. While I still love the dresses, that isn’t what pageants are all about. Pageants have given me an opportunity to make my voice heard, and share my platform. When people see a crown on your head, they are going to want to hear what you have to say. Even when I am not wearing my crown, I still get recognized as Miss Teen North Dakota International and am able to spread my message! This summer I am a lifeguard and I was at the pool teaching swimming lessons when a little girl came up to me and said “Princess, if we jump off the side can you catch me?” 

She recognized me as a titleholder even though I had my hair in a messy bun, no makeup on, no pretty dress. That was a pretty big realization for me. I know when I have my crown on that little girls look up to me because I was once that little girl. When I was younger, my mom said that I would sit in my princess chair, wear my princess dress, and watch Cinderella all day every day.

 I want to be the person that people of all ages can look up to. Some people think that pageantry is just a sparkly crown and pretty dresses. In fact, that is what I thought it was at first. But in reality, it is about the girl wearing the crown. The girl wearing the dress. It's what I can do with the crown. I use the crown as my microphone to be able to share and broadcast my passion for volunteer work to everyone around me. 

I have made so many wonderful friendships through pageants that mean the world to me. I love being around girls who have the same spark in their eyes to make a difference in the world. Just as the quote says “Empowered women empower women” all the girls who I have met through pageantry inspire me to be my best self. 


 I am so grateful for all of the opportunities I have been given through pageantry! From an awkward 13-year-old girl entering her first pageant because she liked to wear dresses, to a 17-year-old ready to share her passion work to audiences from around the world, I will forever be grateful for the doors that have been opened for a girl from a small town.


-Changing the world, one act of kindness at a time, 

Mackenzie Fuller, Miss Teen North Dakota International 2021


Popular Posts