My Crowning Moment - MacKenzie Johnson


A crowning moment is something that you can’t practice. It's something that you can’t duplicate.
And it's something that you can be SO prepared for, but the emotions that run through your body
completely change how you thought you’d act. My crowning moment was in one word,
emotional. If you have seen pictures or were even at the pageant, you could see it. The moment
my name was called, I started crying. And no, it was not pretty crying, it was ugly crying. Very
ugly crying. The reason I was so emotional was because this was something I had worked
extremely hard for and hearing my name called gave me immediate relief that my hard work had
paid off.

This was not my first time competing at the Miss Teen North Dakota International Pageant. I
competed last year and received 2nd runner up, won the interview portion, and tied for first in
evening gown. Y'all, I was upset that I didn’t win but I didn’t let that stop me from getting back
up and trying again. So, I kicked it into high gear and set some goals for myself for this year's
pageant.

1. Improve in ALL categories but specifically Fitness and Fun Fashion
2. Win the Interview portion again
3. Share my platform with as many people as I can
4. Be Miss Teen North Dakota International 2019!

I was able to complete ALL my goals for this year’s pageant! This did not come with ease, it
took hard work and dedication. There was not a day that went by that I didn’t plan or practice. In
hindsight, I'm elated that I didn’t win the crown last year because the amount of dedication and
responsibility I have learned in the past year has helped prepare me to be the best representative
for this organization that I can.

The first thing I thought after I heard my name was “we did it.” I say “we” for two different
reasons. One, it takes a village to prepare someone to win. Parents, coaches (Hey Ashley!!),
sponsors, family, peers...you name it and they’re somehow apart of it. And two, through my
platform, I am not just representing myself or a single organization, but an entire group of
people. My platform has helped me be a voice for those who don’t have one. And I wouldn’t
have a platform without the people I represent. I do this for people with disabilities like me.
So, as ugly as my crying face was, my heart was glowing. I had completed my goals and was
ready to take off running with my new title. Since then, I've had so many opportunities open. I
am honored to serve this year as Miss Teen North Dakota International 2019.

Redefining Disability and Transforming Minds,

MacKenzie Johnson
Miss Teen North Dakota International 2019






Popular Posts