Thanksgiving Tradition!

Thanksgiving is one of our favorite holidays to celebrate together as a family.  My husband and I have very large families, not to mention both families are blended.  While this can mean lots of travel for us to visit parents, grandparents, nieces and nephews, it also means a lot more fun and tradition!  Ever since having a child, my husband and I focus a lot on exposing our son, Bode, to various traditions on both sides of our family. In this blog I’ll give you all a little insight into our crazy Thanksgiving!

This year we will be spending Thanksgiving with my in-laws!  We try and rotate the holiday every other year so my family and his family have “equal” time.  And let’s be real here, it’s more for the grandparents than anyone else. ☺ Since we will be with my in-laws, our first stop is always my mother-in-law’s house! Thanksgiving day is full of munching on snacks, the traditional turkey and fixings, naps, and of course football!  We are all football lovers so we have to adjust our eating schedule according to games…priorities! My mother-in-law’s family is Norwegian so we never leave her house without some potato klub and pork chops for the road!
Next is on the road to my father-in-law’s in the twin cities!  Here, really, is where all the chaos ensues because of all of our nieces and nephews, eight total.  This is the time where my sister-in-law’s, mother-in-law and I have lots of girl time. We always have a cookie bake where the guys are in charge of the kiddos and we get a nice, relaxing day of Christmas baking and relaxing.  We also take the kiddos out on walks, do a little shopping, and check out everyone putting up their Christmas lights. It seems like we can never leave their house without taking leftovers or “just because” presents for Bode.
As our family and our family’s families grow, tradition is always changing year to year.  But what doesn’t change is our desire to spend time with one another and teach our children how important family is.  If there is one thing I am thankful for, it’s for our family that supports us no matter what. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and holiday season!

Keeping Families Close,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018

Popular Posts