Over coming self-doubt preparing for a pageant



It’s no secret that as women, we are critical of ourselves.  From how we dress, what our body type is, and many other factors we tend to compare too often to others.  This is especially true in the pageant world.  We have several areas of competition that require us to be mentally, emotionally, and physically at our best in order to be competitive.  In this blog I will give you my background with over coming self-doubt and some helpful advice for any of you out there questioning your self-worth!

When I decided to compete for Mrs. North Dakota International, I had literally just given birth to my son, Bode.  I signed up for the pageant three months post-partum and after I turned in my paperwork I was saying in my head, “What are you doing?!”.  Not only had I not competed as a Mrs. contestant before, but also I had so much going on at that time in my life.  I was a brand new mom, trying to lost baby weight, juggling a full-time career, volunteering, and trying to figure out this hormone thing I had never experienced before. 

What I realized though was that I was using those as excuses, not motivators.  It wasn’t until I sat down with my husband that he finally made me realize that my self-worth and self-confidence should be at its peak.  Why?  Because of all of the things I had mentioned above!  It wasn’t until I put life into perspective that I realized I was very blessed to have a son, a full-time career, be actively engaged in my community, and so much more.  I realized I was ENOUGH and I could do it!  Those next nine months were some of the toughest months I had ever been through preparing for a competition.  Yet, it taught me a lot about myself. 

Ladies, we are who we are because God created us in his own special way.  Embrace you, flaws and all!  While you may set goals and have great intentions of preparing for your pageant, life happens!  What is important is to learn from the past and prepare for the future.  Use resources you have available to you, resources that will help bring out the best version of you!  Surround yourself with a great support system whoever that may be.  Lastly, look in the mirror everyday and say to yourself one positive thing you love about YOU!  Positive affirmations will go a long ways and boost your self-esteem during your preparations. 

Pageants should not be about competing with the women standing next to you, but preparing yourself to be the best version of you!

Keeping Families Close,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018

Popular Posts