Being Mr. North Dakota International



Some people may not realize that as a Mrs. Titleholder, your Mr. Titleholder puts in just as much work as you do! In this blog I will cover what my hubby has done so far throughout my reign, how he helped me prepare for state and international competition, and how our relationship has developed over the past nine months of being a part of the International Pageant family.
To say my husband has been a “help” to me being Mrs. North Dakota International is an understatement!  Not only has he been a wonderful co-parent with me to our son, Bode, but he has stepped in and been there for both roles in my absence.  While traveling throughout my reign, he has made sure that the house is still functional, Bode is getting the attention he needs, and all other miscellaneous errands/tasks are completed.  Not to mention, when I volunteer or have a charity event, he makes it a point to stop by and bring our son so they both get to experience what it means to give back and help others.
In preparation for state and international competition, Kelly was a great sounding board, coach, and mentor.  He was there to take pictures of me in my wardrobe when I needed to line up outfits for appearances and send to my coaches.  He was there to mock interview me and critique me on my answers, confidence, and poise.  Kelly also ran various errands for me when I was booked and couldn’t find enough time in the day to do them.  Whether that was picking up clothing from alterations, running me to the airport for a flight, picking up pop tabs and baking supplies for RMHC…he was there through it all!  From the very beginning of my journey as a local titleholder, he wanted to see me succeed and knew that we needed to be a TEAM for that to happen!
So where does that leave us today?  Our relationship has grown leaps and bounds in the past nine months of me being Mrs. North Dakota International.  There have been many smiles, laughs along with some tears. This time has not been the easiest but the good times have defiantly out-weighed the bad, tenfold. We have learned to have a greater appreciation for each other.  Me, appreciating his ability to be super flexible with any schedule changes that arise and being an amazing father.  For Kelly, seeing me prepare for an opportunity of a lifetime and how much of myself I gave during this journey!
So to all you Mrs. ladies out there who are thinking about competing or are in the process of competing in a pageant, take the time to show appreciation to your spouse.  At the end of the day, your pageant title only lasts so long, but your title as a Mrs. will last forever. :)
Keeping Families Close,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018


Popular Posts