Oh Canada!


This past Friday, June 29th, I had the honor of visiting and volunteering at RMHC of Winnipeg, Manitoba!  For those who don’t know, it’s an easy drive up I-29 (roughly 4 hours from Fargo).  My husband was such a trooper and came along to support me and help out while he could.  He has only seen the RMH’s in North Dakota so this was a great experience for him.  Since I was crowed Mrs. North Dakota International 2018 in January, my travels have taken me to 18 states and 12 RMH’s/family rooms.  My goal before Mrs. International week was to get in one international destination and visit a RMH. 





Winnipeg RMHC was so warm and welcoming!  Pat, the house manager and Kerry, the administrative assistant not only showed us around the house but shared some history of house.  Kelly and I were able to prepare food for the 14 families staying there.  We also brought items off of their wish list.  For those who may not know what a wish list is, it is a list of supplies/items that may be needed for the RMH.  I was so excited to hear that they are going to be building a new house next year!




After we spent time at the house, we walked over to the children’s hospital.  In the children’s hospital is a RMH family room. This room is a branch of an actual house. It is much smaller is size (their family room sleeps three families and is 3,500 sq ft.) but is there for families who need immediate assistance for housing.  Some only come with the clothes on their backs because they were in a situation where the circumstances were unforeseen.  What is great about the family room in Winnipeg is that it is open to ANYONE to use during the day that is staying at the hospital!  There is a nap room, showers, laundry facilities, and a kitchen to make it more accommodating.  





I was so happy I was able to come up to Canada and help out at an RMH internationally.  This was a great last trip as Mrs. North Dakota International before I head out to Charleston, WV to bring home the title of Mrs. International.  Stay tuned as my travels continue! 

With Gratitude,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018

Popular Posts