Be more than just a pretty face!


Platform is near and dear to my heart because I have been working with my platform, Ronald McDonald House Charities for over 17 years.  Through the past 17 years, I have learned so much about myself and about advocacy/volunteering in general.  What I hope you all get out of this blog is that platform is more than just talk and pictures, it’s about action!

What do I mean by being more than just talk and pictures?  Well, I am going to relate this topic strictly to social media in pageantry.  As women with a title, we look for others to see our work with our platform in hopes to get them involved as advocates and volunteers.  However, platform is not all glitz and glam.  It is more than just posing next to sign or saying you were somewhere.  I think that is one thing that I notice a lot of in pageantry.  While it is great that you are able to dress up and take pictures to promote yourself and your platform, where is the action?  How is it that others can actually know that you are “working” with your platform?

By taking pictures of you in action others are able to see what type of work you are doing.  Also, explaining in detail your past, current, and previous work will give others not only an idea of what your platform is but how you are associated with it and to what extent.  So, if you’re like me and are horrible and remembering to take pictures while you volunteer, what do you do?



Start taking those pictures! I literally have to write myself reminders to take pictures while I volunteer every time I do.  I usually volunteer on an individual basis so I always have to find someone around to snap a few here or there.  Also, when explaining your work with your platform, use quantitative facts.  Numbers and dates always help tell a story and paint a picture for others about you and your involvement. I am not perfect and am still working on this as well that is why I thought this would be a great topic to cover.  



I hope this was helpful for insight in regards to platform and what it takes to truly “work” your platform as a titleholder.  Remember judges, contestants, and communities you are representing don’t want just a pretty face, they want someone who will make a difference and hold true to their word!



With Gratitude,

Laura Schmidt
Mrs. North Dakota International 2018  

Popular Posts