Dad Blog!

Art Thompson – Official Chauffeur of Jr. Miss Teen North Dakota International 2017
 



This photo is perhaps my favorite picture of our daughter. It captures the pure joy, disbelief and excitement, all at once, that comes from achieving a longstanding goal that she set for herself – competing in and ultimately winning the Jr. Miss Teen North Dakota International Pageant.
I will be the first to admit that I was not thrilled at the idea of our daughter wanting to go down this road. Most of my hesitation came from my lack of understanding of the value that can be gained from these programs. My opinion has since changed.
So far this year, I’ve been able to watch our daughter excel in several different areas. Just a warning, the next few paragraphs may be a Biased Dad speaking, but some of these same benefits can be seen, not just with Alexis, but also with the other title holders we’ve gotten to know from the other divisions.  
I have watched in amazement as Alexis has given hour-long presentations to various groups without missing a beat. Her self-confidence, poise and public speaking abilities have risen to a level that makes me even question – is she really only 10 years old? Public speaking is a skill that will carry over into every facet of her life, from school to career. Throughout this year, she is getting plenty of practice developing this skill set and she has learned to enjoy it.
I’ve also seen her grow in her understanding and appreciation for the good things in life and to be grateful for all that she has been blessed with. This year, Alexis has helped grant a Make- A-Wish; raised funds and provided gifts to homeless shelters for families with children; and takes part in events benefiting the American Heart Association, the God’s Child Project, and more. All of these experiences allow us as parents to remind our daughter to be humble, grateful, and kind and to give back to society whenever and wherever possible.
Although I’m the one writing this month’s blog, to be fair, I need to give thanks to my wife for the time and energy she has put in to making this year a successful and fun experience for Alexis. They have traveled many miles to take part in many events. This is time well spent and it has helped strengthen their relationship and to further solidify the bond they have as mother and daughter. I too, am thankful for the time that I have with Alexis, mostly as her chauffeur in various parades. I joke that I’m going to need the funny hat to go with my newfound role. She rolls her eyes at my Dad jokes and I do my best to “not embarrass” her… Whether it is Nicole and Alexis, myself and Alexis or us as an entire family partaking in different events, they’ve all helped create memories that will last a lifetime.
If I can offer one bit of advice to any parent wrestling with the decision of whether or not to allow your child to compete in pageant systems, it would be this – keep an open mind. It also doesn’t hurt to keep an open checkbook, either, (ha ha) but the value gained from investing in your child’s interests is well worth it.


Popular Posts