BBQ Judge


My oh my! It’s been a busy fall, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I thought I should update you on what I have been up to!
First and foremost, being an International Queen you never know what to expect! Early in September, I was asked to judge a meat BBQ competition for North Dakota State University. What qualifies someone to be a BBQ judge?! My thoughts exactly, but I was up for the challenge.
 I arrived around 11 in the morning and had several plates of ribs, pork, chicken, and brisket presented to me for 5 hours straight! I was told, “it’s a slow race, not a sprint” I knew that if I had eaten too much I wouldn’t be able to make it the rest of the afternoon, so a little bite of each contestants prepared platter would have to do. By the end of the afternoon I was stuffed!! It was hard to not finish a plate because everything we tried was SO SO GOOD. I don’t think I have ever had BBQ that has tasted so amazing, sorry dad!
After an afternoon of eating we were allowed out of our closed corners to meet the contestants. I got to chatting with a few of these die hard grillers, and came to learn they had been camped out and had been cooking for over 24 hours!!! These guys were the real deal. The way the described how they prepare their brisket, ribs, or chicken and how they prepared their homemade sauces sounded like an art. Like many other artists it takes time for perfection. Grilling BBQ is no exception and is quite the art itself. Many of these grillers have been perfecting how they prepare their meat and BBQ sauce for more years than I have been alive, which is a lot!
Every appearance I have done on behalf of the International System has been nothing short of amazing, but this one is my top appearances of the year. 

Siam Simpfenderfer
Miss North Dakota International 2017  



Popular Posts