I Challenge You to be Present


How many times do you find yourself wishing for the weekend, or find yourself unable to wait for a certain upcoming event including birthdays, holidays, or just a special occasion? Don’t get me wrong, I get so excited for upcoming events and almost can’t focus on my daily tasks. I get so caught up in the whirlwind of emotions and of exciting life milestones that it is sometimes easy to forget our daily blessings. 

This school year I have challenged myself to be present, and truly cherish every moment given to us because in a blink of an eye it could all be taken away. I frequently found myself wishing time away always excited for the next big event until one day I realized this is my one chance on this wonderful and wicked world. We are truly cheating ourselves out of precious moments we may never be able to hold on to again if we aren’t present in the moment. By being present in the moment we are more conscience of our surroundings, our neighbors, and ourselves. We may create deeper relationships with our peers because we are interested in what is going on at the moment instead of plans for the upcoming weekend. These moments are crucial because someone we may encounter during class, work, or even at the grocery store may need our attention which instead might be focused on our dinner plans with a pal. Those moments we wish away maybe moments that others cling to and look forward to because these moments might be the highlight of their day.

Not only may being present impact others it has a positive impact on your own mental health. Being present is simply being engaged physically, emotionally, and mentally in what is going on and what you are doing right now. The more present you are, the more your body relaxes and has more energy, and improves concentration. We are able to truly take advantage of the life we were given.

 I challenge you to be present in your day to day life and cherish your daily blessings which may come as simple encounters with colleagues, smiles at strangers, or a note left from a loved one. Live this wild, wicked, and wonderful life to the fullest by being present.


Siam Simpfenderfer
Miss North Dakota International 2017

Popular Posts