Reflecting on the Mrs. International Pageant


As the Mrs. contestants filled the room during our first night together at orientation, I walked around and placed a bookmark on every woman’s spot. On the front was my picture and on the back was a quote that read, “True beauty in a woman is reflected in the soul.” Little did I know that I would discover countless beautiful souls during my week at the Mrs. International Pageant. 

Our group consisted of teachers, business owners, non-profit starters, ministry leaders, international models, and even a meteorologist (just to name a few). We represented two generations of women and several different countries. But even more impressive than our age, race or resumes, we are all women filled with bravery, resilience, and a heart to serve others. I am honored to have been among these as a representative of North Dakota and my platform, National Youth Ministries. 





A quote that I recently adopted as my motto is, “Success does not rest in the outcome, it rests in the obedience.” My personal journey in pageantry is truly one of obedience. After placing 3rd runner up in the Miss Junior Teen Las Vegas pageant almost 10 years ago, I told my mom that pageantry wasn't my thing and I never wanted to do it again. Note to self, never say “never." Ironically, as a newly-wed adult, God gave me a clear calling toward pageantry once again. When God asks something of me, I believe it is necessary to be obedient to His direction. So there I was, at the Mrs. International Pageant, doing the very thing I never thought I’d do. I am so grateful that God replaced my “never” with his beautiful plan. 

Throughout my very busy week in Charleston, West Virginia, I asked God to reveal my specific purpose for being there. “Is it to win the crown?” I asked several times. “Or is it for something else?” Each time, I heard him say, “Just wait and see.” So that's exactly what I did. As I waited, I developed relationships, enjoyed amazing food & fun activities and engaged in many interesting conversations. I even learned how to say “Hello North Dakota” in 6 different languages! I took lots of pictures, prayed with my directors and fellow contestants, smiled at every person I met. I had so much fun! 





Not every moment was perfect, though. I had a minor setback when a mysterious bug bite forced me to miss some of rehearsal to go to the quick care with my entourage of directors and staff. But I learned to laugh at the ridiculousness of my “emergency”. After a steroid shot and a good spray tan, the bug bite was healed and hidden just in time for preliminaries! 




After the preliminary competition on Friday night, my mind shifted from fun-mode into anticipation for the results. As Saturday afternoon approached, I was very emotional. The long, but wonderful week was finally coming to an end and I couldn't believe it was my last day with all these women. Yes, tears were involved. When our last rehearsal ended and we headed backstage to get ready for the final show, I reminded myself to enjoy every moment. 

 After fixing my hair and makeup one last time, I turned on worship music, stepped away from the dressing room and found a quiet corner to pray. “God, why am I here?” I asked again. “Is it to win the crown?” “Or is it for something else?” At that moment, God told me to be happy for every woman who makes the top 15, whether I am one of them or not. He told me to be as happy for my fellow queens as if it were me up there. All of a sudden my mind and heart shifted. I was no longer anxious. I was filled with pure excitement for our top finalists (who hadn’t even been announced yet) and I was already excited for the winner, whomever she was going to be! I immediately got a burst of energy and the desire to get back in the dressing room and get to know some of these women while I still had the chance. 

In that moment, I was living Psalm 28:7

“The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.”



As I marched on that stage for opening number, I was truly “bursting” was happiness, thanksgiving and energy. 



When the top 15 were called and I didn’t hear my name, I continued to smile a genuine smile because I knew I had given this competition my very best. I had no regrets, and I learned so much. As I stood on stage clapping for those who made it to the top, I saw why I was there. I was there to share a piece of myself and the light of Christ with these women. I was also there to be inspired by them because many of them have been philanthropists for as long as I have been alive. I was there to learn and grow from this experience. Huge congratulations to our new Mrs. International, Mellissa Pocza! You are a great role model for women everywhere and I am praying that you accomplish amazing things this year. 


I believe God will continue to show me many more reasons as to why he called me into pageantry. I look forward to learning, growing and discovering every reason He allowed me to be Mrs. North Dakota International for such a time as this. 


Angelina Yarbrough
Mrs. North Dakota International 2017

Popular Posts