Bye, Negative Nancy!



“Believing in negative thoughts is the single greatest obstruction to success.” This is a quote by Charles F. Glassman. This is the very quote that I use to encourage myself in times of stress, negativity, and even confusion. It’s so easy to get caught up on what you can’t do or what you may think is impossible to do. However, when you alter your attitude and create an encouraging outlook, it’s amazing how life can run its course on an optimistic path.   
When it comes to working out and upholding a healthy lifestyle or venturing into new ideas and even opportunities - I often find myself filled with joy and excitement at first, but then I somehow ease into negativity. It’s moments like this that can place a halt to your success and prospects that life shows you. When I began taking steps to start competing for North Dakota International Ambassador of 2017, I was excited, nervous and quite anxious. It had been exactly four years since I had last competed in my first pageant (Miss America). Although I may not have placed at that time, I remember that amazing feeling it gave me when I competed and how it helped me conquer my stage fright and more. From that moment on I promised myself to make sure I compete again.
The night before the pageant I was feeling nervous, and quite doubtful. Having second thoughts and even tempted to not even remove the tag off my gown that my parents had gifted me. These thoughts stemmed from the fact that it had been so long since I had done anything like this. In the end, I just thought about all the hard work I had put in and figured it would be a waste of effort and I would be letting down family and friends. When I thought about it, no one was going to care about that, what they will care about is what I am doing now. Imagine to my surprise showing up pageant day to find out that I had already won. It just goes to show, one can never give into negativity, never let it consume you. If you allow yourself to keep thinking negative, it will drive you nuts. Push you away from success and meeting new people that can make a difference in your life.
Now to some people in this world may view pageantry as a a meaningless, beauty fixated and judgmental competition. However, these are simply opinions (negative opinions if I may add), opinions that if you allow them to they will consume you. That is why I encourage anyone and everyone to participate. No matter what age there’s a title for you!  While going through the interview process, the judges didn’t ask me about my beauty regimen, or what the latest beauty trend was.  Honestly that was not what they were concerned about. They wanted to know who I was underneath my skin and what good I was doing and what I will be doing with my crown. This is what it’s about! You’d be amazed by how many opportunities I’ve come by in North Dakota, New York and I do not intend to stop just yet. Had I given into the negative opinions of some people that I encountered in my life or allowed my fears to consume me, I wouldn’t even be typing this blog!
Along with keeping yourself in a positive mindset, you must also make use of the resources that are out there. Rather it be your friends, family, coworkers and more. It would be easy to become a victim of our circumstances and continue feeling sad, scared or angry; or instead, we could choose to deal with injustice humanely and break the chains of negative thoughts and energies, and not let ourselves sink into it.” Another inspirational quote I live  by Erin Gruwell
 Carpe Diem, North Dakota International Ambassador 2017, Wiljar Ojuro 









Popular Posts