Mother's Day Message


Mother’s Day!
“There is no greater heaven than the heart of a loving mother, she takes care of you when you are still in her womb. She nurtures you after you are born. She hurts when you fall. She celebrates when you make your first steps. She is the only person who genuinely cares about you. She loves you as she loves herself. Her heart is your true paradise. A quote from Bangambiki HabyarimanaThe Great Pearl of Wisdom.”
            For Mother’s Day, I face timed my mother (who is back home in New York) like I do every day and wished her a happy Mother’s Day. Although I was not able to be there to celebrate, my mother enjoyed her peaceful weekend out of town with my dad and siblings. Growing up it was almost as if every day was Mother’s Day with my family. We would always make sure we showed appreciation for all that my parents did for us. On that day, my mother would be in the kitchen cooking a grandiose African and island food for us. I would help of course, despite dreading every moment. I look back on those days and I am happy I was in the kitchen with my mom helping. Its helped me a lot being on my own and trying to manage a healthy eating lifestyle. 
There’s so many things that I do today and I realize that it would not have been possible without my mom. From living on my own and making adult decisions to financial questions. I remember learning how to write a check at the age of 10. My mother always taught me you’re never too young to learn something new. The earlier you learn the more practice you will have. Often when I find myself needing advice on life. I pick up the phone and call my mom. It’s amazing how clearer things become when she puts it in many perspectives. An if I choose not to take her advice and stick with my own ways. It’s scary how 99.9% of the time she ends up being right!
At the age of 15 I thought I knew everything, I was a stubborn one and never liked listening to my mom then.  Now at the age of 23 I may know a lot, but still my mother knows way more. It’s always nice to have someone to talk to who sometimes knows you better than you know yourself. I am the women I am today because of my parents and I always seek to make them proud. I have similar interests and characteristics from my mother that I uncover from time to time.  For example, my sense of fashion.
When I was a baby my mother used to always get my clothes tailored. I’d have a dress stitched for me and the dress would always come with a matching bonnet somehow! When it came to my hair, my mom always loved braiding it. It’s because of my mom I enjoy switching up my hairstyles and doing friends hair too. I remember when I was home for spring break, I caught a glimpse at my mom’s college days, she was beautiful and vibrant. Still is till this very day, and I am hoping her anti-aging genes were passed on to me.
For those who have lost their mother’s, my heart goes out to you. For those that have been estranged or have become estranged, I hope you come together and mend the past. ““Behind great men, children, companies or homes are some extraordinary women! Take time today and always to acknowledge the women in your life with a show of gratitude. Love compels a woman's heart. Appreciation drives her commitment. Kindness fuels her strength. Compassion gives her courage. God gives her to you.” Quoted by Carlos Wallace.
Carpe Diem, North Dakota International Ambassador 2017 Wiljar Ojuro.


Popular Posts