Music Soothes the Soul and me

I ran into my childhood piano teacher the other day.  I was excited to show her who I had become.  Instead she reminded me of who I was.  She said in “40 years of teaching piano, I was her worst student ever!”  I know I only made it through to the first half of Book Two in six years, but worst ever?!  Uff Dah! That’s steep.

My musical career may have stopped before it ever started, but music plays an important part of my life.  There is always a tune stuck in my head; a song in my heart you could say.  I apparently sing so much, that I was introduced to a new co-worker with the caveat, “She is always singing without even knowing it. So just tell her if she needs to be quite.” Hmmmm!  I am sensing my talent is under appreciated.

No matter how my colleagues feel about my music, as I go through different periods of life I have adopted different anthems.  Music keeps my spirit grounded in the different times of life.  Let me share a few of these musical moments with you.

When we had two houses, the two mortgages to go with them, and zero buyers on the horizon.  My heart sang “Praise You in the Storm” by Casting Crowns.  “I Refuse,” by Josh Wilson became God’s confirmation for me to follow through with His call to adopt.  When I hit times in my life when I feel like God’s call for me to care for the fatherless is too much, I revive my spirit with “Kings & Queens,” by Audio Adrenaline.  The song “Overcomer,” by Mandisa, was our opening number song for the pageant.  It makes me stand a little taller and walk a little prouder.  With that sound in my head I can take on the world.  The most recent song to capture my imagination is “He Knows My Name,” by Francesca Battistelli.  It is great to be reminded of who I am.  I am not a piano student failure, ok maybe that was me.  But God has given me a new name.  I am His.  I am His queen.

So there you have it… now you know what is really going on in my head.  I am always looking for a new signing partner.  Together we will sound great!

Blessings
Janelle Steinberg, Mrs. North Dakota International 2014


Popular Posts