Tips to Stay Motivated

When I decided to compete for Miss North Dakota International 2014, I knew that I would need some encouragement. I watched emotional YouTube videos (like Susan Boyle's audition and soldiers coming home from war), and I had certain songs on my iPod that always made me feel like I was a champion no matter what. I also collected quotes that motivated and inspired me. I wanted to make sure that I prepared a stable base to fall back on if I felt like I was down so I could quickly get back up. I would read these quotes when I had a tough work out, felt burnt out, or just wasn't having a good day. I wanted to share some of the sayings I used during competition weekend with you in hopes that maybe something will become your mantra when you need a pick-me-up!

God has three answers to our prayers:
1)   Yes     
2)   Not yet
3)   I have something better in mind


If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch.

When you feel like quitting, think about why you started.

Dreams don’t work unless YOU do. 

I am enough.

Nothing worth having comes easy.

If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.

I can only control me.

The quote that has become my philosophy is "we don't train to be the best for one day. We train to be the best on our worst day."
 Even when we've been overwhelmed and things aren't coming together how we want, the challenge is to still be the best that you are even in that low moment. I would challenge myself to learn my 30-second platform speech by repeating it outloud over and over at the end of my workouts when I was the most exhausted. I would practice my posture while driving on long car rides. I would even practice my walking routines after going up three flights of stairs and down the hallway to my apartment door (so glad no one ever saw me!). I thought that if I could do it when it wasn't the optimal time, then I would be prepared when it was. Keep finding opportunities to challenge yourself, but remember to stay motivated while you do!

Meg Pulkrabek RD, LRD

Popular Posts