North Dakota Nice

 I am blessed with many opportunities to travel. When meeting new people who are half way across our nation, the first question that is always asked is, “Where are you from”. Proudly beaming, I say the great state of North Dakota. Some laugh because they didn’t think it was a real state, some question if I am an eskimo, and others reply with saying, “I could tell”.

I am so proud when people reply with “I could tell”. North Dakotans are known for being “North Dakota nice” and being recognized for this is such an honor. This day in age, showing kindness and respect is so hard to come by. But not where I’m from. I can go to the mall and have someone wait an extra few seconds in the bitter cold to hold the door for me, I can go for coffee and start a conversation with a complete stranger, and so much more.

I love my state for many reasons, but the main reason I love it is for the North Dakota nice we are known for. I hope that what we are known for is never changed. Although I laugh with people when they question the existence of my state, I can’t help but smile and say thank you when they reply with noticing my North Dakota nice.

Yours truly,

Madison Johnson

Miss Teen North Dakota International 2014 

Popular Posts