"Bare Necessities"

Merry Christmas!!

The season of giving is finally upon us. Christmas is a time to give to our loved ones without expecting anything in return. I don’t think there is any greater feeling than giving back, especially to those in need. My platform focuses on giving to those who cannot afford the necessary things to live. Bare Necessities is a closet within my school that holds everything from mittens to toothpaste. It provides to families within my school district who cannot afford the, “bare necessities”, to life.

I chose this platform due to a few personal experiences I have had that impacted my life. The past six years I have lived with my mother and two younger sisters. With my mom supporting us off of her single income with no help from others, we struggled financially.

I also experienced something that has changed my life forever. High school students are paired up with elementary students who may misbehave during class, struggle learning, or could have a tough home life. My younger sister and I share an “elementary buddy” and he had mentioned to my sister that he could not afford to bring snack to school like the other kids. My sister came to me wondering if I had any food in my locker and I had luckily brought an extra muffin to school. Our buddy was more than grateful for the muffin we were giving him but then told us he was going to save it for supper. With tears in my eyes, I knew I found my calling right then and there. I was going to do whatever I could to help this little boy, along with his six other brothers and sisters. I was going to make sure they had food to eat EVERY night.

I know what it is like to not be able to afford the small things in life. I know how embarrassing it can be for a child and how hurt they can feel, even when they can’t control how financially stable their family is. I want to share my stories with others in hope to have their eyes open to what some families are going through. I plan on sharing my Bare Necessities organization with other schools in hope to have them open a closet in their school to help families in their district who are less fortunate. I WILL continue to help those in need in hope to change their lives for the better.

I hope you all are having an amazing holiday season! Blessings to you all.

Yours truly,

Madison Johnson

Miss Teen North Dakota International 

Popular Posts