The General Federation of Women's Clubs & Mother's Day

I was privileged to be asked to be the guest speaker for a state conference for the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) in Bismarck about a month ago. The General Federation of Women's Clubs is an international women's organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. 

Not only did I receive applause from this lovely group upon just entering the room, but they were an amazingly attentive audience! I shared my story, my platform, as well as how my faith has grown so tremendously since being introduced to the International Pageant System. Several of these ladies had suffered the loss of a child and could relate to my platform. What I find interesting about infertility, whether that is not being able to conceive or losing a child during pregnancy is that it is so painful and those thoughts and feelings stay fairly fresh in your heart. 

Just a few weeks ago, I celebrated being a mom, sharing part of the day with my mom, and spent a bit of time wondering what our babies in heaven were doing on this day.  I came across a quote right before Mother's Day and shared it with a colleague and friend of mine that struggled with infertility several years ago;  I saw the tears well up in her eyes. Those of us who have struggled still carry some of the sorrow. I believe God gives us struggles so we can overcome these things and become stronger; I also believe that our greater mission with pain is to reach out to others and be that source of light. 
 
On Mother's Day I can think of no mother more deserving that a Mother that had to give one back. -Erma Bombeck

ND GFWC

My Children on Earth

Popular Posts