North Dakota the 2nd healthiest state in America!


For as long as we can remember, we have always been told to be healthy. In fact, I am sure we can all think of a time growing up when our parents told us “no” to certain sweets and pushed the fruits and veggies for a healthier intake. The idea of eating healthy is something that is getting more and more difficult to do. Every time I leave the grocery store lately I ask myself why is it that the cost of healthy foods can add up so quickly, yet I can run over to McDonalds and order a McDouble off the dollar menu?! But I do know…it’s about convenience and price that makes it much easier to eat unhealthy foods.  It is important to remember that living a healthy lifestyle is much more than eating the right foods. It involves taking charge of our lives physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. 

Last Saturday Olivia, Erica and I participated in the Fargo Red River Valley Heart Walk at the Scheels arena. We were also welcomed by my mom and two sisters who were, by the way, a blast to have at our booth helping out. We had a wonderful time volunteering, taking pictures, walking in honor of those who have/had heart disease and encouraging others to make healthy lifestyle choices. I learned a great fact on Saturday. North Dakota is the second healthiest state in America! Way to go North Dakota!!! And because I am raised as a Minnesota girl, I was excited to see that Minnesota is 3rd on the list! How exciting to think about?!  I encourage you to continue empowering yourself to take charge of your health. Take small steps every day, choose the stairs instead of an elevator, consume lots of water, park your car farther from the entrance, quit smoking, go for a walk, take smaller portions when you’re out to eat….whatever it is, I want to say keep it up to the people of North Dakota and Minnesota in living a healthy lifestyle!!



Ashley Voigt
Mrs. ND International 2012

Popular Posts