There really is a Princess!

Majority of people at some point in their lives will see a movie that tells a story of a young girl becoming a Princess. To some of us, like me, that first time we see that movie as a young girl we dream of the opportunity to be a Princess.  However being life is not always a fairytale, we recognize that this is no easy task.  Then the day comes where for one instance you truly feel like a Princess, whether it be your high school prom, your wedding day, or just because you are having a great day.  It is as that point that you realize you do not have to be in a fairytale to be a Princess.

As Miss ND International 2011, I can honestly say there have been many times I have felt like a Princess.  In some ways, this could be influenced by my family considering they have taken this phrase and turned it into my new nickname.  But in any case, it was not until recently when I had heard a story about a fifth grade girl that the thought of what it truly meant to be a Princess sunk in.    

A few weeks ago I was asked to speak at an event that was called “Safe Night 2011.”  This event has been taking place in Emmons County for the past couple of years.  The small towns that make up Emmons County rotate every year to a different school to have the event.  This year, it was in Strasburg, North Dakota.  The event is targeted at fifth through seventh graders with each year covering different topics.  It was truly an honor to speak at the event but more importantly do get a positive reaction from the students.  As adults, we realize that high school may not be the easiest road in life, and if we are able to encourage children at a younger age to make better decisions and teach them about self-esteem, high school may not be so bad. As I talked to the students I was reminded of the quote by E.E. Cummings, “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”

After leaving the event, I felt good and felt as though I was able to make a difference in at least one person’s life.  Yesterday, I heard a story about a fifth grade girl who heard me speak and went home to her mother and said, “Mom, there really is a Princess!” She went on to tell her mom what I had talked about that day but thought that Princesses were only in the movies.  My picture is now hanging up on her wall in her bedroom, and every day she is reminded that you do not have to be in a fairytale movie to be a Princess.  What this little girl does not know, is it truly touches my heart to know how much impact one person can have on another person’s life.  Not only did a part of her grow that day but so did my outlook on life.  It is important to remember that we all have the power to make a change in people’s lives, in turn receiving that wonderful feeling that you truly meant the world to someone, even if it was just for one day. 

      



Yours truly,
Stacy Schaffer
Miss North Dakota International 2011

Popular Posts